Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday

Action Begins in the Heart

Yet even now, says the Lord, return to me with all your whole heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; rend your hearts and not your clothing.  Return to the LORD, your God..Joel 2:12-13

As we begin this season of Lent, it's tempting to decide what we will give up or what we will do extra to show God - and maybe other people - how serious we are about our faith.  But the prophet Joel reminds us that what is most important is what happens deep within our hearts.  What happens there will show in our actions.  If we listen closely to Jesus during Lent, he will speak to our hearts and teach us how to make good choices, even if no one else notices a change in our behavior.

How do you hope God will change your heart this Lent?

O Jesus, following your ways always begins here: with forgiveness.  With the words you spoke the night you were betrayed.  It begins with me acknowledging that your blood was shed for me, for the forgiveness of my sin.  For, Jesus, if I don't see my own sin, I won't see you as my Savior.  So Jesus, as I seek to follow your ways, let me first remember that you shed your blood for me.  I love you, Jesus, Amen.

Resources: Led by Christ by Kathleen Finley and Follow the Way by Susan Senechal

No comments:

Post a Comment