Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lent Devotional

Choosing Life

I have set before you a life and death, blessings and curses.  Choose life so that you and your descendants may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying him, and holding fast to him.
 - Deuteronomy 30:19-20

Moses put the choice facing the Israelite people - and us - in the clearest possible terms when we choose to follow God and his love, we choose life over death, we choose to live more fully and to allow others to do the same.  It is amazing that the creator of all heaven and earth allows us to decide how to live, to say "yes" or "no" to God's love.  God reminds us that our choices lead to certain consequences but leaves the choice up to us.  As we make choices today and every day, let us be thankful for the ability to choose what we will do and how we will do it.

O Jesus, I want others to know how much they have hurt me.  I play the martyr while I await an admission of guilt and words of contrition.  But, Lord, from the cross show us that they way of forgiveness doesn't require that they know they have sinned, only that my heart would turn to you and echo three words: "Father forgive them."  Help me to freely offer the forgiveness I have already received from you.  Amen


Resources: Led by Christ by Kathleen Finley and Follow the Way by Susan Senechal

No comments:

Post a Comment