Friday, February 20, 2015

Lent Devotional

A Real Fast

Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?  Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover them, and not to hide yourself from your own kin?  Isaiah 58:6-7

The prophet Isaiah tells the Jewish people that God doesn't really want lots of pious actions; what God wants are results.  It's a though God is telling the people: show me how much you love me by how you treat one another, especially those who need your help.  This means we need to open our eyes to those around us who may be in need and then respond to those needs generously.  If there were one word to summarize what Isaiah is telling the people, it is: share.  Share what you have with those most in need.

For the umpteenth time that my spouse is late, for all the times my children repeat the same wrong behavior, for my co-worker who took credit for my idea, again... Jesus, help me to forgive.  For, Lord, on the way of forgiveness you teach me not to number the sins of others, but instead to count the many ways you have shown grace and mercy to me.   Amen


Resources: Led by Christ by Kathleen Finley and Follow the Way by Susan Senechal

No comments:

Post a Comment