Sunday, December 9, 2018

A to Z of Advent

H - Holiday
Read 1 Thessalonias 5:16-18
What's the difference between a holiday and a holy day? Why is it that "holiday" sounds like something fun, but "holy day" sounds serious, like dressing up and sitting quietly and having to behave? O Lord, can't it be fun to be holy, at least sometimes? Isn't it all right to smile and maybe even shout for joy or sing? At Christmas time I get to be happy about all kinds of places where I get to go; things are different for now, and I guess that's what makes it a holiday. But it's a holy day too.
Lord, help me to be happy about that too, and help me to find a way to show my happiness.

I - Inn
"There was no room for them in the inn." the Christmas story says. And that is sad. Why wasn't there? Was it really so crowded that they couldn't find a little place for Mary's baby to be born? Or didn't they want to? Lord, is my heart like that inn sometimes? Especially with Christmas on the way? Are there so many other things to fill it up that I don't have the room I should for you? And do I always want to? As busy as these holidays become as full of happy things to see and to do help me never to forget the reason for them all. This Christmas, Jesus, Let there be room for you!

Read Luke 2:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment