Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sunday

Fifth Sunday of Lent
I am the resurrection and the life.  Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.
John 11:25-26

Sunday Prayer

Worry begins to fill my mind, O Lord, at the prospect of resting from my labors. Trouble may arise at work that requires my assistance.  Opportunities may pass me up if I am gone for too long.  Lord, you have made it clear that the crosses of work must be set down from time to time.  Give me Sabbath rest when I need Sabbath rest; give me comfort and peace knowing that my work will be there when I return.  Precious Lord, all that I have comes from your hand of blessing.   Amen.

Sunday Meditation

The final meaning of your life is – are you ready to give it away?  Are you ready to die in order to be able to give? I never personally was very much in touch with that until I was nearly dead because I got in a terrible car accident and nearly died.  I had to face my own death, and suddenly I realized that my death had to become a gift for others.  It couldn’t be – No, I want to live as long as possible; I’m going to hold on to my life … Ministry finally means to help others give away their lives so that it can bear fruit.  Not just on the end of their lives, but every time something happens we are asked to die a little bit.  Whether it’s leaving school or leaving the country or whether it means leaving a relationship or whether it means letting go of something very precious – leaving a friend.  Every little death has to be the source of new life, has to become a gift.
-          Henri Nouwen




No comments:

Post a Comment