Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thursday

Thursday
He is the Lord our God; his judgments are in all the earth.
Psalm 105:7

Thursday Prayer

Heavenly Father, I confess that I often wonder what life would be like if I had a different job. My speculation quickly turns into envy: if only I had “that” job, then life would be better.  Lord, keep me from envious thoughts about work.  You have blessed me with a job that I have.  Give me a tranquil heart and teach me to take up the crosses of work with contentment.  Teach me to love my vocation and to serve you and my neighbor through my work. Amen.

Thursday Meditation

In judging, we deal with our own fears by putting other people into little boxes and, in effect, declaring them dead.  “Oh, I know him,” we say.  “I know that type.  He’s not worth talking to.”  In doing this, we take the position that new life is no longer possible in our relationships with people.  We have already decided who they are.  We don’t want to be bothered anymore.  That is why Jesus says, “Do not judge.”  Labeling people prevents us from seeing them as brothers and sisters and from developing community with them.
-          Henri Nouwen


No comments:

Post a Comment