Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday after Ash Wednesday

Friday After Ash Wednesday
Have mercy on me, O God,  according to your steadfast love… I know my transgressions…
Psalm 51:1,3

Friday Prayer

Sometimes life is full of hardship. Other times life is full of happiness in their proper season.  When the crosses in my life become too much for me to carry, I beg you to remove my burden.  When the crosses in my life become too few, I beg you to add more  In the fullness of time, you sent your Son Jesus Christ to the cross for me.  In the fullness of my life, Lord, show me the crosses that I am to carry.   Amen.

Friday Meditation

God’s mercy is greater than our sins.  There is an awareness of sin that does not lead to God but to self-preoccupation.  Our temptation is to be so impressed by our sins and failings and so overwhelmed by our lack of generosity that we get stuck in a paralyzing guilt.  It is the guilt that says:  “I am too sinful to deserve directing our eyes to God.  It is the guilt that has become an idol and therefore a form of pride.  Lent is the time to break down this idol and to direct our attention to our loving Lord.  The question is: Are we like Judas, who was so overcome by his sin that he could not believe in God’s mercy any longer and hanged himself.  Or are we like Peter who returned to his Lord with repentance and cried bitterly for his sins?  The season of Lent, during which winter and spring struggle with each other for dominance, helps us in a special way to cry out for God’s mercy.
-          Henri Nouwen




No comments:

Post a Comment