Sunday, March 16, 2014

Second Sunday of Lent

Second Sunday of Lent
All the families of the earth shall be blessed.
Genesis 12:3

Sunday Prayer

O Christ, why is your creation so full of grumbling?  Though I am frustrated by constant complaining, I, too, am part of the problem.  Life together in community is seldom free from squabbling.  As I carry the cross of community, help me patiently to attend to the grumbling of others.  Help me to hold my tongue when I am tempted to add a negative world.  Open my mouth to speak when a loving rebuke is necessary.  Life together with brothers and sisters in faith is truly a gift from you worthy of my praise!   Amen.

Sunday Meditation

In every human heart there lives a deep hunger for communion.  This hunger manifest itself in many ways:  in a desire to be held, in a need to be close to someone, in a search for intimacy, friendship and companionship, in the hope of being listened to and understood, in a craving for union of body, mind and heart.  The hunger for communion is never far away from us.  Whenever it is satisfied, we experience joy and peace. Whenever it is frustrated, we experience pain and, often, inner anguish.  We want to belong, to be connected, to feel at home, to be safe, and we can fulfill none of those desires on our own.  Our whole being yearns for another mind; our hearts needs another heart.  Our deep hunger for communion is a precious gift from God and a true driving force of our spiritual journey.
-          Henri Nouwen




No comments:

Post a Comment