Thursday, March 13, 2014

Thursday

Thursday
Do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.
Matthew 7:12

Thursday Prayer

My family loves to laugh, O God, almost as much as they love to shout.  Almighty God, fill my home with laughter and calm our shouting when our anger swells.  Uphold me as I carry this cross of family.  Let me be a source of godly peace in my household as I share your forgiveness with my family.  You are slow to anger and abounding in love.  Loving Father, fill me with your Spirit so that I can take up the crosses of family.    Amen.

Thursday Meditation

Caring as God’s beloved children is making the effort to be present to, listen to and affectionately embrace a weaker brother or sister who may have been frightened by harsh comments, examined by hostile hands or ignored by deaf ears.  We do this even when we can do nothing to change the situation.  This is the crux of our challenge.  Whether or not we have chosen caregiving as our profession, we do profess that caring is first of all about presence to a beloved brother or sister who at this moment feels powerless.  Right here, we accept in ourselves that we are not first of all someone who takes the pain away, but rather someone who is willing to share it.

-          Henri Nouwen

No comments:

Post a Comment