Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday

Friday
And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner:  I am the Lord your God.
Leviticus 19:10

Friday Prayer

More than I deserve, O God, you have given me so many blessings.  Though I may not have as much as some, Lord, I have far more than many others.  Keep me ever mindful of those living near me in need of my assistance.  Loving my neighbor as myself is a cross that you have given me to carry for my community.  Give me people to help and opportunities for self-sacrifice.  You care for the poor and the sojourner as your own.  O Lord, fill me with your same heart for those in need.  Amen.

Friday Meditation

Money and power go together.  There is also a real relationship between power and a sense of self-worth.  Do we ever use money to control people or events?  In other words, do we use our money to make things happen the way we want them to happen?  Do we ever use money simply to give others the freedom to do what they want to do? How do we feel when people ask us for money?  If any of these questions make us uncomfortable, it may be because talking about money is one of the greatest taboos around.
-          Henri Nouwen


No comments:

Post a Comment